May 9, 2009 by Vincent
S60 3rd: Remove Ringtones from Music Player, Remove Full Songs from Ringtone List
I have been a Nokia N82 user for the pass 9 months, and there is this thing that annoys the hell out of me. The S60 3rd Music Player could not differentiate ringtones and sms tones from full songs, thus indexing every single audio files and mixing them all together.
What does that means? Random ringtones will be played from time to time while you’re listening to your mp3s on the Music Player. The playlist can go like this:
1. P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face~ (full song)
2. Message.. message!.. message!!!, MESSAGE!, MESSAGE!!!!! (message tone)
3. I believe I can fly~ (full song)
If that is not annoying enough, try selecting a ringtone or sms tone. Again, all the audio files will be listed, and you have to browse (listen, no searching or filtering while selecting ringtones!) and look for the ringtone or sms tone you want manually, among the entire playlist plus all your other audio files.
This might not be a problem if you do not store songs in your phone, but to those who own a 16GB microSD and have half the card storage occupied by songs, you will know how painful it is, scrolling the monster list, just to look for a freaking 30-seconds sound clip.
Fortunately, there is a way to rectify this huge mistake by the S60 3rd developer.
Things you will need:
- A hacked S60 3rd phone. If your phone is not hacked, do so (at your own risk) by installing HelloOX (Google it). You will need to have the HelloOX signed before you can install it. If you do not have a certificate and key to sign it, request it here. After you have received your certificate and key, learn how to sign here.
- Y-Browser – to copy files and set file attributes
**make sure all your full songs are located in the
Digital folder, and ringtones & sms tones in the
2. There are two files in it,
101ffcd2.txt. Using Y-Browser (or Modo):
After doing so, only audio files from
E:\Sounds\Simple\ will be listed when you are selecting ringtones or sms tones. Besides, the Music Player will only index files from
E:\Sounds\, while the Gallery will only index files from
3. Open Y-Browser, navigate to
E:\Sounds\, then set the Simple folder’s attribute to hidden (File > Attributes > Hidden – Yes)
4. Go to the Music Player and refresh it.
VoilÃ ! If you are doing it right, you will no longer see ringtones and sms tones appearing in your Music Player playlist, and full songs will no longer appear in the ringtone and sms tone selection list. The Gallery and Music Player will also load slightly faster than before.
It is definitely worth the hassle doing all these, your phone now make more sense!